Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Quilt Labels - Screen Printed



This quilt label has been more than a year in the making. It seems like I've had this plan for ages... but it took me a while to take the plunge and decide on what I wanted it to say! 
I've always been lazy about labeling my quilts. I don't like hand stitching, I don't care for written labels, and I leave the labeling to the last moment - which means it doesn't end up getting done. 

About a year ago I saw Rossie's screen print quilt label. I loved the idea of using one standard label - printed onto the quilt backing. It would be quick, pretty, and permanent. 



So. I decided to do it. I'd order a screen with my details on it - I'd screen print my labels. The more I thought about it though, the more hung up I got. I don't know how to use a vector program, I don't feel well versed in graphic design. I just wanted it to be "me" but I sorta froze just thinking about it. Eventually I put a shout-out on facebook and my friend Samantha offered to do it for me. :) I was able to commission her to simplify my existing blog header (the header was designed by Shruti years ago). We worked together to decide how to incorporate my name, my nickname, and my blog name. Samantha did such a great job  - and I am so pleased that I didn't have to worry about all the little details!!

Next I ordered a Thermofax screen to be made from the image. I ordered it from Rossie's friend, and it turned out so nicely! I went with the large size, and I think next time I'll shrink it down a little. I do like the nice large size though!



So now I'm screen printing my labels to the back of my quilts. I have done a couple of them so far. I would prefer to screen print the label before quilting, but both these quilts were already quilted and really in need of a label! Printing after quilting leaves a slightly less crisp print (since there is texture due to the quilting stitches), but it worked out well enough, and it's way better than having no label! 

For now I'm using Versatex Screen Print Ink. It has worked really nicely. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! This would be especially great if you wanted to display work anywhere that it could be stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence - I found your blog as I was searching Pinterest for circle of flying geese, because I want to try getting a thermofax screen made and foundation piece them

    ReplyDelete