Sunday, January 16, 2011

DQS10!!!!


I just cannot resist the wonderfulness of this group. Last summer I joined my first swap, and lucky me it happened to get into one of the best swaps out there, the flickr Doll Quilt Swap (round 9). Not only did being a part of DQS9 push my boundaries, and encourage me to try new techniques, but it also showed me what a great group of people are out there crafting in the world! 

I'm very lucky to have gotten in this swap again for round 10. This time around the swap mamas had us list in our form whether we were chatty or not. I guess I'm pretty chatty. lol. They placed us with partners that were similar in quilting style, fabric likes, and chattiness. That is turning out to be really cool too since my partner is someone who I've already been admiring. We have lots of things in common... and a couple of those will find their way into the quilt.


Here are my ideas thus far. I'm thinking of using linen with some fabrics like AMH and Tula Pink (parisville), and of course grey. I think for colors it'll be mostly blue, pink, and purples... depending on what format I go with. There will be an embroidered quote there... that I found online last night in a fit of inspiration. Perfect!

As per my usual goal with these swaps I've already started trying new techniques. Today I gave curved piecing a try. It was really much easier than I thought it would be! Seriously, if you haven't tried it, please do! Here's the tutorial I used, although for some of the curves I found cutting the fabrics with scissors gave a bit more control than the rotary cutter.


The one thing I need to remember to keep in mind while doing this, is that the cut line is reduced by your seam allowances. I'd planned on a little more of the pink to show up there in the middle! lol. I see a lot of possibilities here!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love your sketches so far. I will definitely have to check out this swap next time around, I've seen some seriously awesome mini quilts come out of this swap!! Your curved piecing is totally inspiring, I've been curious about that, and I'm glad to know it's not as scary as it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun group of sketches! I love that random hot air balloon in there. : ) Looks like you've got a good plan in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you share your sketchbooks!

    ReplyDelete