Saturday, January 24, 2009


Here I am! I finally started my very own craft blog. I'm a lurker, and I have been reading other beautiful crafty blogs for a while not. I think I'm ready to join in.
Let me introduce myself. I am 24, married, and have a beautiful 5 month old daughter. I have been crafty all my life. My nickname emedoodle (pronounced Emmy Doodle) was given to me by my dad when I was around 5 years old. I started sewing when I was around 8 or 9, and got my first machine at age 12 (a hand-me-down White from my aunt Kathy). I also have dabbled in knitting, polymer clay, papercraft/altered books, scrapbooking, and bookbinding. I love my "stuff" container which has all the essentials for nearly every craft project imaginable. I have recently decided to make things easier I'm going to focus on sewing as a past time for now. Too many things at once means none of them get done well (and I seem to want to buy the whole craft store). I'm cheap. I hesitate to buy too much fabric at once and well... I need to ease into it. I don't think I've ever really "quilted" a whole quilt. Not as far as piecing it and fabric coordination etc. I'm working on starting and my first major project will (hopefully) be a full size quilt for my daughter. I like making usable things. I'd like to get involved in a couple quilt related swaps. I should be asleep. Why am I writing this at 1:47am?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, emedoodle! Welcome to the blogosphere and to quilting -- it is very addictive!
    Basically I got involved in swaps by following the button links from people's blogs to wherever they send you -- usually Flikr groups or a different blog. Some swaps happen monthly -- like the mini quilt swap -- and others sort of happen whenever people decide to organize it -- like DQS (Doll Quilt Swap), and then you just have to keep an ear to the ground, and when someone mentions that sign ups are open, you sign up.
    The 6 - 12" Flikr swap that I'm part of is a nice one. I like the people and they are really great about new quilters joining. Get a Flikr account and ask to be added, then just sign up for a Plain Jane (that is quilt of your choice) and try your hand at a tiny quilt.
    I see you already have Sew Mama Sew on your sidebar. Last Feb they had a quilting month, and you can find lots of helpful information there. Also, check out the http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/. They have a lot of tutorials for different stages of quilting.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're new! My blog is not that old either - only started about a year ago. Have fun blogging & exploring! I'm from Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete